miguel and big queen

miguel and big queen
anba dlo parade

Friday, April 23, 2010

hurricane part three... leaving the city...

We settled in and cooked up what was left of our friends filet mignons and pork chops in their fridge. Kim started red beans as well. might as well cook up everything ya can...

Their house was across the street from Schiro’s, and it was raised very high. A second story with a porch, and we figured that we would stay there in case the water came up even more.. (according to the radio, the water hadn't come yet, but according to us? it was already here...) There were people walking by, some were looking for help, some offering help, and others just checking out the neighborhood looking for opportunities, places to loot.

There was a guy looking for money to feed his baby… Where was he buying baby food? Money meant nothing at this point. I think we gave him some money, and later he would come back with ice for us. Where he got the ice? I dunno, another guy came by as well with ice... We iced down what food we had left. Then there was the emergency vehicles heading into the ninth, pulling boats, trying to help people out of the flood waters. All walks of life, going about scrounging for whatever they could find. The city was pitch black.

I tried to take a nap. It was too hot, and the mosquitos were ravenous. I had bug spray, and the water and gas were still working at Kevin and Joe’s house. Kim kept cookin his red beans and rice. We barbequed on the porch and watched the sun go down. Opal was in full patrol mode. She was Barking at every gang or group that passed. We watched some people put their hands on the windows at Schiro’s, testing to see how thick the glass was, so they could make a decision whether to throw a brick… Then I heard the sound of a shotgun being cocked, and someone said, I don’t think your going in there….

The neighbors were watching out for the place. They had decided if anyone was going in, it would be those who patronized it, and lived in this hood. I could hear neighbors fighting over whether to stay or go, and threats of “we could die here”. I tried to sleep, and it was too hot. We bathed throughout the night, trying to cool off, but we were miserable. I worried that someone would break in, and realized Opal was wide awake. Candles burned, and the city was all blacked out. The only lights were emergency vehicles, and cars and flashlights….

The next day our friends loaded up their car, and their cats and decided not to stay. Kim asked if they would take me, they said they didn’t have room. Kim kept pressing the issue, that they had two cars. Terry and Andy worked with Kim, and the brother had arrived just days before the hurricane, from Phoenix. Kim kept pressing the issue, until he gave us the keys... Kim convinced him that the looters were coming, and his truck most likely wouldn't be there when we all returned... They talked, and then made a pact, and suddenly we had keys to a pick up truck with no gas in it. They exchanged numbers, and they took off, agreeing to meet up in Baton Rouge in a few days. Now we had hope. Steve and Kim went about looking for gas.

I packed up our stuff, and prepared to leave. We traded 20 gallons of water and a weeks supply of food for two gallons of gas from a neighbor. We gave them milk, and the red beans, and the toilet paper. They were staying, as they were home owners. We loaded up the truck, and even though we didn’t have enough gas to get too far, we had gas. We went out Chartres street, to Decatur to the crescent city connection. There were people making a mass exodus, asking for rides, and I still had the feeling we could be carjacked, with the exception of Kim in the back with the two dogs… opal was still in patrol mode.

Going across the bridge I remember looking up at the state flag of Louisiana, with the pelican on it. I was thinking this was our salvation, we were on our way out. I saw all these people walking, with all they had left. Just trying to get out. It was probably high noon or so…. Sometime after we made our exit over the Mississippi, the police from Gretna got on the bridge and wouldn’t let anyone leave. They made you turn around and go back to New Orleans. The cops were afraid that the west bank was about to be looted by all the people in new orleans. They had guns, and they meant business. Later they would say it never happened… but it did. Ed Bradley interviewed people on 60 minutes, and they told their story. They even had video footage to prove it. Like a lot of things that they said never happened. When it comes to the truth, believe me, it happened.
I was thinking of the CBD and our friends we left behind. All I could think of was all that gasoline and oil coming up with the sewer water, and combining with the flood waters. One match and the entire business district would be up in flames.

I thought of our conversation leaving Lauries that Tuesday morning. Joking about bass fishing on canal street, or catching crawfish right there in front of where I work. I was wearing a dress with a skeleton on it, and I remember this woman saying how appropro the dress was for the impending apocalypse. Climbing over trees on esplanade avenue to get to the other side. Wading through water to get back home, and going by Iggys, and seeing them serving drinks with the looters only a half a block away. Thinking “whats wrong with you people, don’t you know that your putting your lives and your employees lives in danger?

On Canal street back at the footlocker, they couldn’t find the other shoe in the back, so some bright individual lit a match and the place was on fire. Steve told me he was at Dominics, and they were trying to get the water out, and he was helping them move stuff to safer spots, and then after helping them out, they wanted six bucks for his drink. Obviously even they were guilty of price gouging. The night of the hurricane, I gave drinks away, if you helped me. Some people just have so much greed in their hearts, and they only think of themselves. I remember my girlfriend riding her bicycle by, and proudly carrying her weapon, with intent to use it if you fucked with her… I was wondering about Jeff and Rachel, and how they were gonna get out. Later I would find out they broke into the cabby wherehouse, siphoned gas and got out. They were charged up to ten dollars a gallon in Mississippi, as they fled the city. More price gouging.

We got to Raceland, and we were about to run out of gas. Looting was everywhere, all the way to raceland. A police officer said there was gas there. We found two stations, and got in line. I got out of the car, and got the gas can filled in case they ran out before we got to the front. They sold us 30 dollars of gas. I remember them being Mexicans, and I remember they had a generator. There wasn’t the same sense of urgency here, we were in the country, but at the same time, no electricity, and gas was scarce. We pressed onward into Lafayette. I had friends in Baton rouge, and I called them. The phones were still going in and out. My friends were under siege, as the thugs from new orleans had taken over baton rouge. We kept going, trying to find a room, but no one would take dogs. It wasn’t for lack of cash, it was just people were picking and choosing. We kept going all the way to Alexandria, where we met up with friends.

They had friends in Monroe who agreed to let us crash. Gabriel Landry put us up. He was very kind, and had food prepared, and offered us everything he could. He put up about ten people, some he knew, some he didn’t. Once inside, I started to relax, until I saw the TV. Then the horror settled in. They were showing all kinds of looting, and talking about murders and rapes, and showing people on rooftops begging to be rescued. Now I’m thinking what the FUCK? Why isn’t anyone helping? Why? You mean to tell me I just left that?

Reality set in, and we opened up some wine, and started drinking. I charged my phone, and called friends and family members assuring them I’m wasn’t in the middle of that anymore. We proceeded to get drunk, and I watched as Kim decompressed. One of the girls there, thought that Kim was a racist. He was talking about the racism he felt, and how the thugs were just out of control. She had no clue, she wasn't there, she wasn't a new orleanian, she wasn't paying attention to the fact that Kim was Puerto Rican, and I was white, all she heard was the "N" word, and that convinced her that we were klan members... She was an idiot, she had no business making any commentary, we were going through PTSS... We finally crashed on an air mattress, and Opal layed down with me under the covers.

The next day we packed up to leave. Steve had his laptop, and Kim found us a hotel just a few hours NW of Monroe, up in El Dorado Arkansas. They took dogs, so we packed up again, what little we had left. I did a mass email, letting everyone know I was alive, and Kim listed us on a survivor list. He also enrolled us in FEMA, and then we all looked at each other and split apart. I gave Steve $100 as they needed to get to Florida. We said our goodbyes.

We got to El dorado Arkansas, and checked in. A guy at the counter asked us if we were from New Orleans, and what had happened. He insisited on paying for our room. I told him I had money, but the lady at the counter said, no, he’s paying. He was paying for everyone who evacuated. I asked him why, and he explained that he was from Florida, and had had the kindness of others. It was his turn to pay it forward. I remember him driving away, his truck said “Jesus saves, and so do I”. Later in November of that year I would see him in New Orleans helping people gut their houses.

I bumped into my friend Tracy in the lobby. We hardly recognized each other, we were so tired and stressed. I laughed that I had managed to bring our swim suits... of all things...

We crashed. Opal crashed. It was now Thursday, and nothing had happened yet in New Orleans. Nobody had arrived to help anyone yet. NOBODY. The news said President Bush would be in Nola by Friday. What the fuck? Five days later? someone decides that maybe they should send a rescue squad? Now I’m cursing Nagin, who is having a temper tantrum in front of the entire country, I’m cursing governor Blank one, for not being able to make the decision to send in the guard… Oh Yeah, the Louisiana Guard is in IRAQ! Now I’m cursing out that pathetic shit who calls him self W… he’s coming back early from his vacation…. And that shit from FEMA… oh yeah BROWNIE… nice job brownie, nice clothes ya got there…. All these motherfuckers just letting new orleans drown. All GUILTY!
You think the government cares? THINK AGAIN!

We make a bet that W shows his face on Friday at five pm, during dinner hour, and the first thing he’s going to do it hug a black person….

We go back to bed. Opal sleeps for two days solid. I go downstairs, and now the churches have arrived, with food and clothing. Lots of really wonderful people arrive to help. It was incredible, and restored my faith. One lady insisted on giving me $20. Another brought me clothes, as I was her size. The red cross was there, giving cards away so you could purchase what you needed...

We went to the local salvation army for more clothes. We really didn’t have much. I found Alltel and paid my phone bill. I had a fear that they would turn it off. I was afraid of the cost of roaming fees and text messages. They told me all charges dropped, and I paid anyway.

On Friday night at five pm, we watched as W, hugged a black person in Mississippi. He never stepped foot in New Orleans, he just viewed it from above. Asshole.

We’re hearing there is no gas between Little Rock and Nashville. We calculate the amount needed to get there, and buy gas cans and fill them. This is the largest mass exodus in the United States. Rumours of gas prices soaring up into ten dollars a gallon. We load up and move out on Saturday morning.

We drove and drove, and when we reached Nashville, family was there to THEIR relief. They had been so worried, but we were fine. However, more shit was looming in front of us. The guy who had given us the car, had reported it stolen, and was now calling us on the phone and threatening us. He had a relative call and threaten. Fuck him, I took the car, and siphoned out all the gas, and copied off the emails sent between us, confirming that we knew him and had permission to have the car, and went to the police station and surrendered the keys to them. I explained our story, and the officer had no problem with it. I had the guys two emails, saying thank god we were safe, and yes we can meet in Baton Rouge as planned. I explained that he told us he wanted the car tuned up, and delivered with a full tank of gas, in CALIFORNIA… which wasn’t going to happen. The cop told me the guy told him he gave us the keys, and that we refused to return it. HA HA HA…. I returned it all right…. I pointed out that the insurance was expired, the tags were from Arizona, proving he wasn’t a resident of Louisiana.

I then called FEMA and reported his name in case he tried to collect money from them. He had been in nola for one week. He had no proof that he lived there, and I made sure the red cross knew as well. Then I received a package from his insurance company. He was using our address in Nashville to buy insurance. I called them, and explained to them that he did not live here, and that there were no tools stolen, or stereo, or cell phone. I gave them the entire story, and gave them the officers name that I reported the car to. Fuck Ken…. He had some good Karma coming, but then got greedy, so fuck him.
Its amazing what people will do to try and put one over on ya…..

Everyone I knew was saying to leave nola for good. We were going through withdrawal. I was mortified that the entire country sat there in front of their tv's, and watched all of this unfold, and couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it. I was discusted that the news showed only bad things, and no good things. I was sickened when they labeled black folks as looters, and white folks as foraging. I was getting more and more angry at George W Bush, as NOW the entire country can see what a LAME DUCK he is... has a meeting to discuss the largest hurricane ever to hit the country, and then go on vacation and ignore it.

I was even more upset when I saw all the folks lined up to help. AND our own military was being used to keep them from helping. I would see the lines going through each state, and I would just cry, thinking YES, here comes the calvary, and then realize, they weren't being allowed in. I spoke with the vet down the street, who wanted to rescue animals, and they wouldn't let him in. The drinking water on its way to nola, made to turn around because George W Bush was flying over.? WTF?

It was a barrage of information on each station, repeating over and over, and brainwashing all the couch potatoes of america to believe that everyone in new orleans was black, on welfare, looting, and not worth saving. The great Louisiana purchase was now on.

Lies, Lies, and more Lies. My friends called and wanted me to come to Seattle. Since I wouldn't be returning to work anytime soon. They were trying to come up with ways on the tv to vaccuum the water out of the city. They were dumping sandbags on the levee breaks, they were trying the best they could, and still, under water... Fingers pointing, more lies, and more BS from the feds... It was all very frustrating. VERY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

be nice or leave